Tuesday, October 31, 2006

In remembrance

All week I have had something weighing heavy on my heart and mind. On Halloween night, exactly 1 year ago, my best friend's little brother was senselessly killed at his fraternities Halloween party. Evan was a fun-loving college kid who was known for his antics and for his zeal for life. Suzanna and I became fast friends when we were in the sixth grade and Evan was just in kindergarten. We spent every weekend at eachothers houses so her little brother soon felt like mine too. I have so many special memories of us all growing up together. We would do everything from going to the lake with her family to making up songs on the way home from school when we had to ride the bus. The Luke family has amazed me in the way they have rallied together to deal with the loss. I know it hasn't been easy for them, but they have showed me how to trust in God even through the worst kinds of pain. Ms. Luke told me something last year at Christmas that will forever be imprinted on my mind. She said that she prayed for Evan every day of his life and although he still sometimes made bad choices she knew that God had heard her prayers and it had helped him to accept Christ. This conversation has given me so much conviction on how important it is to pray for our children, and even our future children. I do ask that if you get a chance today you will say a special prayer for this family for comfort during this difficult time.

1 comment:

Kimberlie Reese Denham said...

Remember Stacey Sweeney? Her little brother was killed in a car accident coming home from a Halloween party while we were in college. I always think of her and her family during this time of year.
I'll say a prayer for them.