Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A new tradition

Every year since I can remember my mom would go through the sequence of events of my birthday with me. I remember it as a child, but even now, she will start calling in the morning first thing and continue to call through the day to remind me what she was doing the day of my birth. I never really understood why she did that until today. I have to admit that for Annaleigh's party on Saturday I had LOADS of fun but didn't feel all that sentimental (I guess i was in hostess mode.) Well, today I have caught myself welling up with tears several times thinking about what I was doing a year ago....from the beginning stages of labor, to the 10 hours I spent in natural labor without an epidural, to finally getting the epidural, to learning I would have to have an immediate c-section for the safety of me and my baby....then to the first time I held her in my arms. It all seems like a dream now....but I know that it happened because God has blessed us with a healthy and vibrant little girl. One Year Ago

Today


With all of the above weighing heavy on my heart, I ran across a new blog of "a friend of a friend." I am sure some of you know Kory & Jayme Phillips at least by proxy. Jayme gave birth to twins the other day ...each of them weighing under 2 pounds. Please check out the web sight www.thephillipsphamily.blogspot.com and keep them in your prayers. The little girl especially is really in need of a lot of Prayer as she is fighting for her life. These babies have reminded me how precious life is today.

On to our new tradition. I decided at 5:20 (the time she was born) every year on my little girls birthday we will eat a piece of cake and blow out candles as a family if at all possible and no matter when her actual birthday party was. Here are a few pictures around the dinner table tonight
I promise I will not be so sappy and sentimental in future posts...but thank you for humoring me today and sharing in our joy.

9 comments:

Jillina said...

Aww I totally feel you on this Laurie. Saturday (31) is William's actual birthday. I'll be doing the same thing. Last night I watched his video from birth and bawled my eyes out. It really does go by so fast. Happy Birthday Annaleigh!

Blessed said...

Laurie,

Such a sweet post. Colt is only a month old, but I already cry looking at his "birth" pictures.

I love the birthday party pictures too!

Angie said...

I think that's a great idea. She will really appreciate it someday.

Courtney said...

How cute - you are such a good mom! You know I ran across the Phillips blog last night and just cried. I had some preterm labor and can't imagine actually having Will at 29 weeks, but 25 weeks! They will be in my prayers. Should I know them? Also in answer to your question the camera I got is a Canon Powershot S3 IS, 6.0 mega pixels. i am having so much fun with it, ti was definitely a good purchase!

The Hadfields said...

How sweet. It is amazing how fast a year goes by!! They are so precious!! Sorry I didn't leave you a message already but I just read your note on Becky's blog. Be looking for an e-mail from me!!

AJnChattown said...

Thats a great tradition. She is so happy in the picture with the cake.

Kim said...

Hey Laurie!!! Yes, the pollen I'm sure you don't miss. And look at you- a beautiful baby girl! =)

the robertsons said...

I think birthdays are a big deal, too!! What a wonderful tradition!! She is precious!!

chris anne said...

that is really sweet, and that will mean so much to her as she gets older. she's lucky to have a great mom!