Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Breast Cancer 3 day walk



60 miles in 3 days! This October I am going to have the incredible privilege to participate in the DFW Susan G. Komen 3-Day walk with several moms and girls from our youth group. I am a little fearful because I am certainly not in tip-top shape but I know it's such a great cause and will be an amazing bonding experience for us all. Breast Cancer affects all women in some personal way...we all probably know someone who has survived breast cancer or gone on before us because of the disease. I can't help but think that statistically one of us will have it at some point, which is scary, but all the more reason to promote finding a cure NOW. When the girls initially asked me to do this walk with them I thought it might not be the best idea. Of course I support the cause, but I thought it might be good for them to just do it with their moms. Later, one of the moms approached me and said they really wanted me to do it with them because they consider me such a significant part of these girls lives they wanted me to be there as friend, supporter, etc. I was so honored/humbled...how could I say no?? So the task ahead is to raise $2,300 dollars and to train to walk 60 miles....and I need help. I need prayers and I need fundraising ideas. If you would like to help me with this or have any great ideas feel free to comment or contact me by email at lauriefrantz2002@yahoo.com . Thank you in advance!

3 comments:

Jillina said...

Your perfect for something like this. You have such a sweet giving heart. It's no wonder the girls look up to you.

Lindsay said...

I've always wanted to do this, but wasn't sure how to raise the money either. Let me know if you get any ideas.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

What about your traditional old-school bake sale? Or silent auction? Garage Sale? You could use 1 or more big church/school events & plop yourself down and do the sale/auction.

Our church just recently did something called a "Tithe of Time." It was a huge hit. People were asked to donate 2.5 hrs of time. I put together a package called "Breakfast in Bed (or to your door)," which included 2 large coffees, muffins, & fresh fruit, which I will deliver (arranging schedules of course.) There were also Sewing Lessons, Painting, Photography, Spanish Lessons, Manual Labor, Cooking, etc...that were donated. We were in Mexico, so I missed the silent auction, but I thought that was a GREAT idea.