Sunday, April 08, 2007

Family

I have been thinking a lot about family today...specifically and in general. We actually went on a youth retreat this weekend, which was great, but I have to admit I was sad to not have a "traditional" Easter Sunday. There were no special Easter services, no new dresses, no bunny, no egg hunts. It was a great time of fellowship and community with our teens and youth team....but I missed the tradition. On the car ride back from Austin, my friend played a new Amy Grant CD of traditional church hymns . I was amazed to find how all the songs touched my heart in such a personal way. Each hymn reminded me of a family member... "My Jesus, I Love Thee" has always been my Mama Moore's favorite song. I can close my eyes and hear the words in her beautiful voice. "It is Well With my Soul" is one of Papa's favorite. Tears come to my eyes every time it is sung. I realized today that through songs of praise to God, we can also have powerful connections to our loved ones here on earth and to those who have gone before us. I missed my family today, but somehow, through songs, they were right there next to me.

5 comments:

The Hadfields said...

How sweet!! Happy Easter!!

AJnChattown said...

I missed my family today too. We celebrated in Chattanooga. Dont get me wrong. I love my chatt. family dearly. I too have songs that remind me of family members. My most precious one is Amazing Grace, my papaw's fav. I can't sing it without crying. I'm actually vaclempt(sp?) right now. (tear)

chris anne said...

i'm right there with you. songs for me are so very tightly woven with memories that i often tear up just at the first few notes.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

i LOVE the old hymns.

Kimberlie Reese Denham said...

This is a great CD, and I listen to it often hear in Brazil. Singing these hymns in Portuguese is not quite the same.