Friday, April 11, 2008

Going Home

So,this is going to be kinda raw and I have a feeling I may end up deleting everything in the end...but I am reeling right now. It's 6:45 AM on Friday and I am sitting in a dark hotel room in Vicksburg, MS. My mom called yesterday and told me my grandfather wasn't doing well and if I wanted to see him alive, I better get home soon. Russell and I tied up all our loose ends and were on the road by 5:oopm. I felt like we were racing with time. Even though I knew that Papa was most likely in his final days, I didn't have much of a doubt that I would not ever see him again. This morning at 5:45 I got the phone call that he was gone. We didn't make it to see him alive. Even though I am sad about this...somehow I have peace. He knew that we were on our way and doing our best to get there. I just talked to my sister and she is over at my grandparents house with my grandmother and my mom. They were sitting in the room with him and reading over the list he had prepared of his requests and wishes.
My grandfather lived one of the most fulfilling lives on this earth I have ever heard of. He had a beautiful marriage to my grandmother for 62 years, he was a faithful Christian and elder of the church, he worked for DuPont as an electrical engineer from the day he graduated college until the day that he retired. Papa was a woodworker, an artist, a gardener, a marathon runner. He lived life to the fullest every single day and there wasn't a lazy bone in his body. My grandfather was more like a father to me and gave me he foundation to be the person I am today. He inspired so many to do good by is life and deeds....and now he has his reward in heaven. The scripture that describes Jesus going to prepare a place for us in heaven is just coming alive in my mind. I know God has prepared a beautiful mansion up in heaven for my grandfather where he is now living, full of joy, free from pain, transformed in his new heavenly body and thankful he left his former flesh on earth.
I am so sad. I will miss my grandfather so much. It pains me to think about life without him....but on the same token, I am so joyous. He left this earth just the way he wanted: In his own bed at his own house with his wife by his side...with no fanfare and no fuss. Just peacefully. He wrote in his notes that he didn't want a funeral. He stated that people hated to go to funerals and he wasn't about to do that to anyone. That brings a smile to my face.

18 comments:

Emily said...

Laurie,
I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

A Cincy Mama said...

What an amazing man. My life has been blessed through knowing Papa and Mama Moore and seeing the beauty in their relationship with their Lord and their love for you. I am so sorry, Laurie-gal. Love you very much.

The Blakes said...

Laurie, we love yall. We will be praying for you and your family and for safe travel.

The Keltners said...

Laurie, We are sorry to hear of the passing of your grandfather. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Cristie said...

We will be praying for you and your family. Your Papa sounds like an amazing man who will leave behind cherished memories. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Ashley & Bobby said...

Your family is in my prayers....I love you sweet potato.

Danna said...

Laurie,
I am so sorry for your loss in your life and A's life. I know from experience how painful it is to lose someone so close to your heart, and not be there. You and your family will be in our prayers and if you need anything please do not hesitate to ask.

Courtney said...

oh Laurie - I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers...

Amber Rader said...

We're praying for you and your family. Don't worry, Aaron taught Russell's class this morning. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help, and have a safe trip home.

The Hadfields said...

Aww, Laurie, I lost both of my mother's parents last year and it is such a mix of emotions. Sounds like your grandfather was a wonderful man and I am so glad that you can have peace knowing that he is in heaven.

hannah said...

I loved hearing stories of Papa and Mama Moore during college- and still remember meeting him years ago in Athens. I know he meant the world to you. My sympathy, love, and and prayers to you & your fam-

Angie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss but glad you have peace with his passing. What a blessing to know where we can spend our eternity!

Stacy said...

What precious memories! Sad to hear but what comfort God has given us for our loved ones who pass away. Hugs to you...

Anonymous said...

All of our prayers and thoguhts are with you, Russell and Annaleigh.

Anonymous said...

laurs, so sorry to hear about papa! will be praying for you! loved reading your blog entry and how you described his life! jenn

Jillina said...

Oh Laurie, I'm so sorry. Your family is in my prayers. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Laurie,
My mom called two nights ago and told me the sad news. I am so sorry. I know how close you were to him. I have so many memories of him from my years at Campus View. Such a sweet and giving man. May God continue to give you peace. Melanie (Cabaniss)
PS I found your blog through Jillina.

Whitney said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Laurie. I pray that God continues to cover you in His peace and comfort in remembering the awesome life your grandfather lived. Love you.