Thursday, November 15, 2007

Lipscomb

So....since I live in Texas, I don't hear a lot of news about the old Alma matter...Periodically I peruse the web sight to see what's new.


The first thing that caught my eye tonight was that Dr. Mike Matheny passed away today of brain cancer. I am so saddened by this news. I am not sure how many of you Lipscomb alum had him has a professor. I know I had him once or twice, and to be brutally honest, I am not even sure which Bible class it was for...what I do remember is his soft voice, his kind demeanor, and his caring heart. This man of God will be greatly missed, but I can't help think of how happy he is rejoicing in heaven with our Savior. You can read a tribute to Dr. Matheny HERE


Totally unrelated...I found this neat story about a couple who graduated from Lipscomb in like '93 or something who are taking a YEAR long honeymoon around the world. They write about it HERE in their blog. Check it out...they are doing the COOLEST things ever! I think I will have to live vicariously through them for the next 10 months!!


Lastly, in sports news, did you hear about the Lady Bisons defeating Frisk University 123-22...yes that's right...they beat them by 101 points. Read all about it HERE. Okay, and here is the kicker...I first heard this story on none other than ESPN today (Russell was watching, I just happened to be in the room!!!) Way to go Lady Bisons!

4 comments:

Angie said...

It's not often LU makes the big time news! :)

Whitney said...

Oh wow I did not know about Mike Matheny...sad news. I didn't have him for any classes, but I do remember his sweet spirit and everyone seemed to really like him. I know he'll be missed.

Blessed said...

I did have Mike Matheny for a Missions class, I think. He was soft spoken and kind. I knew he was sick, but had no idea he had passed.

Seth came home and told me all about the Lady Bisons! :)

Thanks for sharing, Laurie!!

Lindsay said...

We actually went to a Lipscomb function last night that they had in north Nashville. I think there is over 50 million in building projects going on right now.....even apartment type living and a starbucks. I am so jealous!